FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Hero

I received a call last week from my daughter Chloe's teacher telling me that she was going to be getting a "Hero Hunt" award at school. She wanted me to know so I could be there to watch and only a few kids from each grade get them. I was so excited for her. The school was assembled and grade by grade they called students up to get their honor. Kids were jumping up when their names were called, all very excited. (They do these assemblies once a month at this school).

When they got to 3rd grade, they called my daughters name as well as another little girls name that is in her class, but there was silence, no one jumped up. No Chloe. I'm thinking like a grumpy mom does, what is wrong? Isn't she listening, why isn't she going up there! Then her teacher walked over to her and grabbed her hand and lead her up to the front. She stood up and followed her and then I saw the reason.

Chloe's other hand, the one not holding on to her teacher, was attached to her friend who is handicapped & delayed. The same girl she helps all the time at school and loves so unconditionally. Both Chloe and that girl were called and Chloe was NOT going to go up without her friend!! This girl didn't want to go up front because she was being shy.

The gym was silent, everyone paused. I choked back tears. What a sweet thing to do, what a sweet and devoted friend, and how selfless of her to stay put until she had her friend along to accept this honor. I was so proud, but not that she was chosen... more about how she accepted. She truly is a hero.

1 comment:

Dayna Jamison said...

Ok, that's a heart melter! Chloe is so sensitive and loving.