FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Fail

Yesterday was a bad day for our 15 year old beginning driver. He failed the written drivers test. So, determined as he was, he took it again. Fail #2. Dad was not happy. Dad let him have it for not being prepared. I'm so glad I wasn't there. He had to get his learners permit before taking drivers ed, seems backwards to me, but that's how it's done here. So this test was checking that he knew enough about driving BEFORE the class I guess. I was so nervous for him.

I was at home waiting for the grumpy guys to arrive and smooth it all out. I waited plagued by my own bad memories of my failed drivers test when I was 17. Reliving the humiliation of having to tell friends the next day I didn't do it is still painful all these years later. Now, thankfully, I look back and realize that it was a great learning experience. Driving isn't simple, it is a BIG deal. It's a major responsibility. It taught me a huge lesson in humility, and I believe he learned that same lesson yesterday.

When the kid is determined, he is determined. He studied all day yesterday and all night. He took readiness pre-tests on the computer until he consistently got 100% each and every time. Today he went back. Again, I decided it was best if I did not come along and jinx the moment. He took the test but this time he drove home. Mission accomplished. Big smile. Majorly cautious and humbled driver. Humbled, for now anyway. Not as easy as he thought. Yep, I know that all too well.

May the fails always be with you son, at least the lesson it taught you and that horrible feeling of not being prepared enough when you thought you were. Keep pride out of the drivers seat and don't even let it be a passenger. Now, young man of mine, you have inspired me with your never give up attitude. Prepare more, try more. I am again in awe at the strength of youth.

1 comment:

Megan, Peter, and Benjamin said...

YAY!! That is awesome that he passed it, finally!